“Parents massage their babies? Really?” I thought to myself when I first heard of baby massage. Straight away I assumed I would be useless at it and might just give it a miss…. which lasted all of 1 week after Baby was born.
WIND! Baby is what I like to call a “windy” baby. No matter how long I winded him for, he would still suffer from trapped wind. Like all new-borns, he struggled to understand how to relieve the windy pains and at times would get quite upset. My heart went out to him and I immediately turned to the almighty GOOGLE to see if I could find any way to help relieve the pains. And I was reminded of the amazing art of BABY MASSAGE.
I did a course of 5 baby massage classes with the amazing Gail from Harmony Yoga. It was the first course myself and Baby did and it was the best decision I made. Not just for the amazing tea, biscuits and chats you have at the end of the class, but also for the following benefits we experienced:
- Relief from colic (or as I like to say: windy pains) – There is a set sequence of movements to help move along trapped wind. This was my number one reason for trying baby massage and I must say it works a treat.
- Helps babies to sleep – I try to get Baby into a night time sleep routine where we do a massage, put on pjs, have a feed and go to bed. The massage really relaxes him to settle him for the night.
- Great way for parents to bond with their babies – Everyone thinks that bonding with your baby is the easiest thing in the world, but with all of our second guessing we do, it can be hard to just relax, trust your instincts and let that bond grow. Baby massage is a activity to do together.
- Helps baby understand how their body is all connected – the last move of every section shows baby how their body is interconnected.
- Keeps skin soft and moisturised – By using natural oils in the massage, it helps to keep babies skin moisturised, which is great if they have any dry skin.
Baby massage can be started straight from birth, so it is a great first class to sign up to. An added bonus is that you might be able to reclaim a lot of the cost through your health insurance! And you might even meet some nice mums along the way too! 🙂